It was 2 years ago when I first step in Boracay My husband surprised me with a packaged holiday in time for my birthday last July 2010. After a long wait, together with my family and close friends we went to the water fun adventure capital of the Philippines again last June 3,2012. Being in a larger group ( we were 20 including 3 children) made our trip more enjoyable and a lot cheaper.
Our first day adventure was Reef walking , better known as “ Helmet Diving”. It is one of the most most popular water activities in Boracay. It allows you to walk on the reef and view the amazing creature 20 ft below sea level. My first Helmet Diving experience was a little bit scary. Although I know how to swim but the thought of signing a waiver ( which I didn’t care reading ) and to be submerged down below sent some anxious feeling. Our rate 2 years ago was P500 but I was surprised that we were able to get the activity at half the price. It was only then I realized that the cheaper helmet diving uses an air compressor instead of pure oxygen. Oh no! I was beginning to be afraid but I just suppressed my feeling knowing that some my friends started to be troubled with the orientation and hand-signal instruction. I went out to check the air compressor parts and secretly talked with our guide. He assured me that it is safe to go down the seabed using the machine. That they double checked everything including the compressor oil and the hose that connected to the helmet. As I went back, the first batch of our group was finished . I was relieved seeing them l smiling as they shared their experiences with Nemo, Dowry and other sea creatures.
Here are some tips when doing Helmet Diving :
1. Listen carefully to the hand signals for safety purposes/
2. Do not eat too much before doing this activity. Because of the pressure, you will feel your food will flow back to your mouth.
3. Descend to the rope stairs slowly but surely.
4. Bring with you a rough gloves ( like the one used in gardening) so that you can easily catch the fish.
5. While down below, do not forget to smile as the divers will take pictures and video. Enjoy this once in a lifetime experience.
Our helmet diving pictures :